Saturday, August 30, 2008

Am I CRAZY????

Ok, so this post will just be me rambling... because I have to think out loud to make sure I have not indeed lost my mind...
I've decided to train for a half marathon... yep me, a half marathon... Let me back up a minute here... I am starting with a 5k which is 3.2 miles. Now that is more imaginable, right? I hope to work up to a 10k which is like 6 miles in November then the biggie in Feb. 13.2 miles!!!
Where did this come from, you ask? Well, this past year has brought many ups and downs, challenges and transistions in my life and of those around me. I managed to complete the National Board Certification process which was so hard. (I do not find out my score until November.) I am totally anticipating having to redo some part of it. Katie began Kindergarten at my school which is GREAT, but a big adjustment to my routine. No longer do I have an hour or so to myself to regroup, chat with Adults, run errands etc. Katie is basically attached to my hip. (as I type she is literally sitting RIGHT next to me reading a book, which is adorable indeed) but attached to my hip none-the-less. I realized I needed to find time for just myself. So I decided while finding that time why not get in shape and set a goal. SOOOOO... last week I began this journey. I found a friend at church who completed the half marathon last year and began talking to her. She hooked me up with a website and fabulous trainer here in Birmingham. His name is Danny and has a great plan to go from "couch to 10k"!! So Monday morning, I rolled out of bed around 6 and hit the pavement. I ran 5 days this week! Now let me explain, it was only a mile walk-run thing so it only took me 15 minutes each day. But wow, what difference it has made. I am actually looking forward to that time each day. I even ran this morning. This coming week I am going to up it some and run- walk half mile intervals. I am looking forward to the challenge actually. A friend of mine, actually it is funny, she is the wife of my best guy friend from high school. (this is a shout out to you Trish!!) We hooked up through Facebook and I feel like I have known her all my life. She ran one recently and has really been a source of encouragement and advice... Anyway, she told me that running would provide me time to think, pray and almost solve all my problems... And ya know? It has!!! I have really had some intense discussions with God and myself for that matter. It has been refreshing...
All this to say, Am I Crazy?? Will I actually be able to do this? I do not know but I am going to try... So if you do think I am crazy... I am out to prove ya wrong!!
The fun thing is that my kids have seen me doing this and are wanting to exercise etc. THey have a kids 1 mile run along with half marathon and I am going to help Katie "train" for that. She is really excited! How cool is that?
I will keep you all posted...

4 comments:

The G' Unit said...

Jen...you made me giggle when I got a shout out...an instant smile appeared! Thank You for that! I'm excited to hear about your journey to your half-marathon...it is a domino effect....once you start running you MOST def. will inspire your friends or someone close....and that is GREAT that Ben and Katie are excited and moving too! I told Kent that one summer we should go to a family fit camp and be outdoorsy all week and invite friends with children...and then you and I could run together!! You're definately NOT crazy...just determined and motivated and I feel that is going to be the key to your sucess!!
TtotheG

Me on Metatrophin said...

You go, girl!!

Anonymous said...

Jen,

You might think this is crazy b/c you don't know me but I am an old friend of Craig's from high school and we recently "found" each other on Facebook. He directed me to your website, which is incredible btw, and I read this entry and felt compelled to comment. I work for K-Swiss and we have just recently entered into the world of running and triathlon performance footwear and apparel. I am feeling the fever myself. I have been a diligent "fast walker", sometimes even running three miles every now and then, for as long as I can remember. I just recently decided to step it up as well. Last Thursday I ran 6.2 miles in my neighborhood, yes I clocked it, and then did it again this past Tuesday and timed myself....just under an hour so basically a 10 minute miler (I've always been 12 if not more). While that is not great by any means, for me it was a major accomplishment. I am currently looking for a race to enter so I can do it officially. I've only ran 1 official 10k and that was over 6 years ago. My goal is a mini also. So...let's keep each other motivated, I know we can do it. When I start feeling the pain and think I want to quit or if it's a tough hill that I don't think I can make it up I just close my eyes and ask the Lord to pick up my feet. I bargain with him and tell him, "if you'll pick them up, I promise to put them down!" Together we always seem to make it. I wish you well. I am proud of you for seeking physical improvement and know by the excitement in your words that you will accomplish it with ease. I wish you luck and will be checking in on you to see how your progress is going. If you'd like to reach me I'm at acheek1@carolina.rr.com

Sincerely,
Amanda "Mandy" Peters Cheek

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you got my other comment...but I was so excited about the "shout out"...it made me smile! Thank you! I'm training for a 1/2 marathon this November and gonna strive for the Okianwa Marahton in February..we'll see how that goes...I'm VERY excited to meet you this coming summer...I'm sure we can swap stories about Kent-o-san...the before and after..he is a GENUINE guy...that's fo' sho'...I remember my Granny saying that to me....she said through his eye's she could tell....and every expression he held while in converstaion with her! Amazing...Can't wait to meet ya...please feel free to call us...we have vonage!! lata sista'
TtotheG